Preventing Pests During the Winter
The frigid temps brought to us by Old Jack Frost are not a cure-all for pest infestations. Many people think that if they can just survive until the snow falls their problems will solve themselves. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
Cold Weather Effects
Colder weather definitely has an effect on insects and rodents, but does not drive the problems away from your home. Instead, it often results in the pest being even more inclined to seek refuge in your families home. Making sure your home is free of entry points, not only keeps mice and other rodents out, but will save you money on heating costs during the winter as well. Seal any old holes or gaps with caulk, silicone, expanding foam, or steel wool to protect your home.
Many insects can either hibernate or lie dormant during the colder months, others will die but will lie eggs that hatch in the spring. By remaining vigilant throughout the year you’ll be prepared as pest activity changes with the seasons.
- Minimize any stagnant or pooling water (pools, garbage cans/lids, patio furniture)
- Clean gutters and downspouts in the fall
- Continue exterior perimeter treatments when possible
- Clear any debris that may be used for nesting (cardboard, paper)
- Keep firewood stored away from the home
- Check vent screens and replace if needed
- Trim shrubs and foliage away from home
With Pointe Pest Control you can rest assured that your home is protected year round from insects and rodents. Call us today if you’d like to schedule a free inspection or you’d like a no obligation quote for the best Pest Control Service available.