The Olympics, Rio, and Zika Virus Prevention
It’s finally here—the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, Brazil. While fun and exciting, these Olympics have had their share of controversy, and the Zika Virus has been front and center.
This mosquito-borne pathogen causes microcephaly (abnormally small heads) and other neurological disorders to fetuses. It can also be transmitted sexually. Although there have been nearly 166,000 cases of Zika in Brazil, the World Health Organization (WHO) reports that the threat of the Zika infestation spreading widely during the Olympics is fairly low. This is because the Brazilian population has begun to form immunity to it.
Also, it is past mosquito season, as it is winter in Brazil. The threat of Zika is actually most likely greater now in the United States than in Rio, and locally contracted cases are now being diagnosed. One of the recommended steps to protect you and your family includes employing mosquito prevention. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), here are the steps to preventing mosquito bites:
1) Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellants. This includes repellant with DEET, Picaridin, or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus. EPA-registered repellants are safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
2) Protect your children. Make sure they are wearing clothing that covers their arms and legs. Cover cribs, strollers, and baby carriers with mosquito netting.
3) Treat clothing and gear. Follow proper instructions and treat items like boots, pants, socks, and tents with permethrin. You can also buy permethrin-treated clothing and gear.
4) Control mosquitoes inside and outside your home. Use screens on windows and doors, and make sure any holes get repaired. Use air conditioning, which mosquitoes don’t like. Eliminate any standing water around your home, as mosquitoes lay eggs in water.
5) Use professional pest control.
Don’t take chances when it comes to your safety and the Zika Virus. The professionals at Pointe Pest Control are prepared and use environmentally friendly solutions to help protect your family and home from mosquitoes and all other pests that threaten both your safety and peace. Call them today.