Frightening Bug Facts
It’s that time of year when spooks are everywhere to be found, from trick-or- treaters to the evening news. But even if politics or Halloween doesn’t give you the heebie jeebies, this list of insect trivia just might.
1. At any given moment, there are approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 insects on earth. No, we did not make up thatnumber. For every human being, there are about 1.5 billion bugs. The odds are not in our favor!
2. Think you’re sleeping alone? Think again. The average bed contains up to six million dust mites, all ready to feast on your dead skin cells.
3. There’s a reason cockroaches are so despised. Did you know a cockroach can survive for up to nine days without its head? Disgusting! And, the only reason it dies without its head is that it can no longer eat. Also—cockroach allergens are the third highest contributor to children’s asthma.
4. The common housefly regurgitates its stomach contents, probably on your counter or couch, and then eats them again. Ew.
5. Aphids are born pregnant. They give birth when they are 10 days old. At that rate of reproduction, they’re set to take over the world.
6. About 20% of the world’s food supply is consumed or contaminated by rodents every year. (We know this list is about insects, but these rodents carry mites, ticks, and fleas, so it counts.) More than 40,000 people are bit by rats each year, leading to diseases like the plague, salmonella, and rat bite fever.
7. Insect stings and bites send over 500,000 Americans to the emergency room each year. More than two million Americans are allergic to some form of stinging insects, and 40-150 people will die from stings this year in the U.S.
Luckily, there’s no reason to be scared. Pointe Pest Control can easily, safely, and effectively take care of your worst insect nightmares. Out trained technicians know exactly how to handle every kind of infestation—give them a call today.